A collection of poems and other writings...

Sunday 29 June 2014

The Whole Picture

Maybe I'm getting a little too philosophical at the moment.  There is something about social media that has that effect on me, I think.  Scrolling down your news feed you dip into tiny, fragmentary moments of other people's thinking, obsessions, amusements, passions...  the major life moments nudging up against the inane, compulsive memes of dogs eating sweetcorn.  I have just been thinking a lot recently about that weird juxtaposition - the rubbish and the luxury versus the oppression and darkness.  How do I respond?  How do I stay sane?  How do I help?  They are real questions!  Please feel free to offer your answers!  This poem feels a bit like a sketch of a poem really, a first clustering of thoughts, and maybe I'll work on it some more.  Then maybe I can free myself up to just have a bit more fun again!


While this world
is cluttered
with degradation
and the fumbling of the feeble
against the
wrath of the strong,
who am I
to take time and space
and follow an inclination
with this trivial tripping
and ineffectual song

and artful twittering
and insignificant pondering
and meandering remembering
and whimsical wondering?

And while some topple disingenuously
at the tap of a footballer’s toe,
others aim to draw the angry blood
of ancient foe.
As the son of one kills
the son of another
and the mother of one
shields his younger brother
from the deluge of the poisoning thought
that he has taught himself is true
and then when he has been missing for weeks

she finds him on youtube
and the video speaks
to call comrades to arms
against an enemy
as intangible to me
as a raging, blood-boiled sea.

So who am I
to watch this
fictional news
and pretend there
is no entertainment value here
and switch the channel
with the simplest press
to find a cookery programme
to relieve the stress
and check the latest reviews
of films and songs and theatre shows
that represent the world
as a place where, surely, love grows?

And while
the Palestinian woman
in this Instagram
sits in her devastated room
and clutches a blood-stained tea-towel
to her temple
and weeps her rocking soul
in silent ululations of grief
I hunt for an adjective
to objectify the narrative

for it’s only a picture
and all I can do is just 
like it 
and scroll on down.
I can engage with it or not
as the whimsy goes.

Today I might write a poem for a friend,
just a lousy poem,


or perhaps a little prose.

No comments:

Post a Comment