A collection of poems and other writings...

Wednesday 25 June 2014

We mostly walk on the pavement

I was walking home today and noticed - strange - that although the road was completely empty of traffic we all still walked on the pavement.  Not really that strange perhaps but it did make me realise that we are basically conformist and for the most part that is an acceptable thing to be.  So perhaps going a little against the grain of modern poetry here is an ode in praise of conformity...

We mostly walk on the pavement
and mostly ignore the fact
that windows are easily broken
that glass is easily cracked
and objects belonging to others
could very easily be
lifted through broken windows
a handbag, perhaps a tv.

We just don’t, most of us, mostly
we simply abide by the rules
a set of agreed ordinations
decreed by our forebears, the fools.

And most of us mostly wear undies
to protect from an unpleasant stain
and most of us find some protection
whenever it’s starting to rain.
These are things that we do out of habit
and a feeling that such things are right:
when you’re using your phone I don’t grab it
though I could – (and maybe I might,
just because it is really annoying
when people use phones on the train
or the bus or the street or the library - 
seems I’ve gone off on one again.)

I think what I’m trying to fathom
and what I am trying to explain
is that people are generally similar
and generally good at the game
of being human and getting along with
the people that live round about.
It’s all too easy to get strong with
the people who dither about
but we don’t, do we, mostly,
we patiently let them get through
or get on the bus just before us
even when they were last in the queue.

We’re sociable animals mostly
and I’m glad about that, yes I am.
We modify our own behaviour
So we don’t all end up in a jam.

So thank you for not going naked
and thank you for not pooing there
and thank you for just being pleasant
and human
and kind

and aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment