A collection of poems and other writings...

Saturday 7 June 2014

A Tale of the Unexpected


Ok, so I'm doing my delivery round on Wednesday and as I pull up at Mrs Wright's house, her neighbour who's, what,  about 78, is standing leaning against the wall by her front door.

I walk up veg box in hand and he's staring at the van...

- I'm trying to read what that says on your van...
- Oh, yes, it is a bit tricky to make out...
- What is it? B...E.. R, is it?
- B, E, A, N, I, E, S - Beanies...
- Beanies?   What like in Beans?
- Yes.
- Beanies ...oh.   Beanies...

I knock on Mrs Wright's door... she often takes a minute or two to come so I'm stood there waiting...

- She's in, but she's been pooorly, she probbly won't come.  Can't make that out...Beanies?
- No, it is a bit tricky...   I'll just leave it here under the bush.
- No, not there, here I'll tek it.   Gi'it here...

I rest the box on the wall for him to take.   It's only a ‘B’ box, standard size, no potatoes.   It's got some onions, carrots, a lettuce, spring greens, 3 courgettes, an aubergine.  It’s not heavy.

He lifts it off the wall.

- Blimey!   That's heavy!

I think he's joking.
He's not joking.  
He's holding the box and wobbling about.

- I've only got one leg!

He hobbles off to put the box in the passageway.
I watch him bend, straight-legged, slowly lowering the box onto the ground.
He straightens up, puffed from the exertion.   Poor old boy.   I feel a bit bad for him, making him struggle with his one leg.

- She's a fabulous cook, you know.
- Is she?
- Ooh fabulous.   I'd do some gardening jobs for her and she'd cook up Sunday lunch!   Ohh, fabulous. Hehe!

He pushes his belly out and rubs the memory of the food. 

- What is that then? Beanies?
- We're a greengrocer's and a wholefoods shop.   Been there more than twenty years.
- Twenty years?
- And more...
- Twenty years, not heard of it.   Where is it then?
- Down on Crookes Valley Road, you know just opposite the big church by the lights.
- Oh, down there.
- Yes.
- Oh, right.   Yes, I've a couple of young 'uns selling drugs for me down there.
- Rig... What!?
- I'll send them in...

I think he's joking.   He is joking...isn't he?

- Erm, well you needn't bother!

He's not laughing
He must be joking.

- Oh I don't care what they do, so long as they bring me my ackers.     See you.


No comments:

Post a Comment