A collection of poems and other writings...

Sunday 26 April 2015

the almond blossom tattoo

today
for the first time
you have shown me your new 
tattoo

the one of the branch of almond blossom
the one on your lower abdomen
the showing of which
requires the removal of 
clothing

using only your left hand
you slip
your cotton t-shirt
over your head
in one deft movement
and as you do so
lift your right hand
to cover your left nipple
the forearm crossing the body
thus to simultaneously conceal
both the naked breasts

you have done this before
and perform the act without thinking

small wrinkles appear 
in the puckering skin
pointing
towards the concealed 
nipple

your left breast
is slightly distorted
by the pulling action

my mind
is slightly distorted
by the distraction

the almond blossom tattoo
of which you are rightly proud
snakes from a point
within the inner sanctum of your groin
to the left hand-side
around your hip
and up your back
to end in sprays
just below your
armpit
and upon your shoulder blade
pure blossom and
dark piercing twigs
fingers of grief
reaching across the 
fatal field of your flesh
inked lines
in low relief
deeply 
permanently defined

and while you show me
you continue to hold your fingertips
over the warm 
rose of  your nipple
in order to maintain
your modesty

I hear from you 
of a journey of longing

you tell me of
sleepless nights
your own hands
stroking your intimate skin
wondering
deciding
worrying

fingertips
tracing designs
in imagined Japanese lines

you take me with you
to a place
of desperate defiance
between you
and your troubled parents

I echo
your trepidation
on the tattooist’s couch

and I too
fear the buzzing pain
you have suffered
to carry this image
as she drives her needles into you

relief
as she finishes her flourish
elation
at first sight

you consume me
in the intimacy
and the ecstasy
of your endeavour


but rest assured 
I cannot see 
your nipple




No comments:

Post a Comment