A collection of poems and other writings...

Sunday 19 April 2015

Reflection

I am doing
this evening's dishes
wishing grease
from plates
my wife's insisting
on rinsing
singing in my ears

I am distracted
as I hear
the ghost
of our cat
jump from table to floor
in the dining room

I look up to see
my reflection
looking back at me

my other's eyes
shining in the glass
through spectacle lenses
his hands
mine
wrist-deep
in suds

and then beyond
across the yard
the neighbour’s kitchen window
throws back a second image
a more distant double
visible
through
this first

more eyes
peering

for a moment
we are
studying
ourself

twice

if I were able
I would mould the moment
into a metaphysical metaphor
a quizzical exploration
of identity and perspective

a dark seeing through glass

as it is
all it is
is me
washing up
looking at me
washing up
looking at me
washing up



No comments:

Post a Comment