A collection of poems and other writings...

Tuesday 25 November 2014

vis-à-vis love

Please allow me to list
some features of yours
deserving of a mention:
viz,
your lips, your eyes
your shapely thighs.
Do you follow my gist?
(There are others I’ve missed.)

Allow me to note
some personal flaws
I should bring to your attention:
viz,
my increasing size,
a predilection for lies,
though they stick in my throat .

I could catalogue
what I love about you
in the hope of redemption:
viz,
your smile, your charms
your money, my arms.
(Oh, I am such a dog!)

I would briefly relate
why you should
reciprocate:
viz,
my shining good looks,
my library of books.
(But have I left it too late?)

Wait! –

Before you walk away
please allow me to say
that between
you and me,
vis-à-vis love,
there could be
a passionate courting,
a wooing, resorting
to flowers,
chocolate, showers
of kisses,
an assault of the senses,
your crumbling defences,
champagne in the park,
fumbling after dark.

These are the ways I would love you:
namely,
gamely, madly.

Should you leave
I would grieve.
How would I beat my retreat?

Lamely, sadly.


No comments:

Post a Comment