A collection of poems and other writings...

Friday 21 November 2014

#twitterings

Twitter offers lots of opportunities for working your creative muscle in small ways.  Various tweeters have established prompts and hashtags to inspire short micropoems and microstories.  On twitter search for hashtags #LossLit #HeartSoup #wordchimes #MSpoetry and plenty more for a rich compendium of tasty little poetic titbits.

These are some of mine:


#trance

Stood in a trance
at a busstop
I realised
my vacant gaze
had fallen
on a young woman
who was slowly
and deliberately
exposing her midriff

#capturedpoets


#JoyofDays

We shared the sunlit
joy of days
but unaccustomed
to its rays
you left
& have become
the Gothic author
of my sleepless
dreams


#RavensVeil








#climbintome


Climb into me she said 
but the ladder 
I had made 
from flowers 
& words 
& feathers 
was far too fragile 
and crumbled beneath me  

#stone

Stone-eyed children
 wander these dark streets
to sleep on 
granite pillows 
soaked by tears and rain.


#underwater

It’s only as I’m
drowning here
eyes and nose
full of sudden wet sorrow
that I can hear
the mermaids sing





#lists

With sharpie
she listed my patent faults
a post-it on the fridge.
I grated my fingernails
down the black
memoboard
on the door -

There’s another,
she said.



#snapdragon

You seem to follow
the snapdragon path
cleared by your
acerbic mother:
you, the bud
she, the wilting flower.



#petals

Hey,
don’t love me like petals:
they unfurl,
they curl,
they drop.
Love me like
pine needles –
fresh, scintillating,
evergreen.


#myfavouritelie

How will you love me?
What colour, your sigh?
You’ll be my what
that will never die?
Of all of yours
this is
my favourite lie.



#Dusted cocoa

1
Dusted cocoa,
Demerara sugar,
I’ll meet you in the middle.
you,
me -
crunchy,
sweet.

2
so we did the kitchen
in
dusted cocoa

but as Ben said
paint would have been cheaper

3
...and then dredge
with dusted cocoa
for that final decadent flourish.

Now lick.


#black satin

To thumping Clubland rhythms,
you dance out your pain
black satin and lace,
all hips and face,
you're beautiful,

Granddad.
#sudden glow

there was no
sudden glow
just an
undertow
dragging me into
this pool

of wine

Top Cats

Holly and Willow the cats,
Have found a wormhole in the slats.
They creep through and hide
Till the turn of the tide
And come home sporting boaters and spats.

#kiss


You want to what?
Kiss me?
Ok... Whatevs,
fill yer boots.


No tongues!
#quills


Grandma kept geese;
took goosedown and thread
to a quilling bee.
Wasn't it just a typo?
Nope. 
Now she keeps her pinions to herself.


#Universal Process

Un-likely as it may seem
I’ve never
r-eally doubted
Sal-ly was a
pro-fessional prin-
cess


No comments:

Post a Comment