A collection of poems and other writings...

Sunday 7 September 2014

Standing Stone

Yes,

it’s a field
and here at its heart
a standing stone
a lichen-licked
and mossy
monolith

the effort
I shouldn’t wonder
of an afternoon or two’s labour
by some
Neolithic team
of hard handed
locals

here,
now,
nudged by cows.

We’ve found our way here
silently
having argued on the path,

and now I’ve followed you
over the grass
to sit for
a moment’s sulking
in this dewlapped
pasture

to contemplate
the time
we’ve spent together
and the changes,
imminent,
that threaten our co-existence

do you even like me anymore?

And this stone
just is
here,
now,

and whether we leave hand in hand
or with me
continuing
to drag my heels behind you
actually doesn’t matter
much

now


does it…

No comments:

Post a Comment