A collection of poems and other writings...

Monday 12 May 2014

Helping Donna

So,
it’s been sunny this morning
then rain,
heavy,
now sun again
and light hazes through spring leaves
dappling the cycle path
as I walk down the ring road.

Will she be there?
I can’t stop myself thinking it
and my heart sinks a little.
She often is.
Sitting
crumpled in the Waitrose underpass.

- Can you spare any change?

- Sorry, love,
I often lie,
I haven’t got anything today.

Or there is an almost grudging,
embarrassed
reaching for my change purse
and a fumbling count through change
trying to judge the right amount to give
that will balance
the desire to give
with the desire to walk away,
that will alleviate guilt
and still leave enough for a bus fare

or a snickers.

It’s my money
but if I stand there trying to choose how much to give
the whole business becomes sordid,
ridiculous,
layered with guilt and inadequacy.
After all – what’s she going to do with it anyway?
Just drink it…
But is that really the point?
She needs it more than I do?
Does she?
Then give it all.
But then I won’t have any for…
emergencies…

Then don’t give her any…
But that’s mean!

Giving grudgingly
is no gift at all!

So,
today,
I’m thinking ahead.
I’ll sort it out now
before I get there
and so I fetch the change purse
from the bag on my back.

A quick count through and I reckon I’ve got
thirty pence
I can spare.

Thirty pence?
Really?
Is that all?

Oh,
ok.

I have another look and take out the fifty.

Fifty?

Yes, fifty, that’ll have to do.
Otherwise I’m giving her coppers,
and you certainly can’t do that.

Well you can’t.

But you've got thirty
and that wasn't in coppers...

Look, it's fifty, ok!
it's just...
neater!

Ok.

So,
I’m coming to the underpass
and I can see her
across in the opposite subway
– my exit –
where she always sits.

There she is
wrapped in a damp blanket.
She’s under cover
but the rain has come kicking down
the passage under people’s feet
and has puddled up the concrete
 to where she sits.

What’s her name?
Her name..?
Yes.
I don’t know.
What, you’ve never asked?
No, why should I?
She’s a person, she must have a name.

Yes, well,
I’ve never asked.

Donna…

Donna.

She’s probably thirty five,
Donna,
but looks forty five –
yes, forty five with added wine.

She’s trembling under the blanket.
Not shivering,
it’s bigger than that,
it’s a shaking grown up from a shiver,
it’s a quaking grown from disease
and fear.

But I’ve got my fifty pence
ready in my hand.
How generous am I, eh?
I’m not even going to wait for her to ask,
I’ll just pop it in the woollen hat
she’s got sat
on the ground in front of her.

Down it goes,
“There you go, love!”

There, I’m helping - 
Helping Donna.

Donna’s actually still saying it
“Can you spare any change, please?”
after the deed is done
 and then she’s trying to find 
the energy for a thank you.
She can’t raise her eyes to mine
but she lifts her eyebrows
and mumbles a weary
“Thangyu”

But I don’t need thanks –
I’m so generous, me
- that was fifty pence, remember,
not thirty,
fifty!

Just at this point,
a woman corners
into the underpass,
bowling from the Waitrose end
towards us.

She’s floating along,
energetically,
riding her buoyant hips.

She’s a busy thing
and she spies Donna,
helpless.

I’m past her now
and just as I reach my
clean getaway
I’m hearing her say
“So,
do you know where you can get food?”
She’s taking charge,
showing practical support,
helping Donna,
and my fifty pence,
is melting
like a chocolate coin at Christmas,
and my generous glow
is fading to ashes.

And the last thing I hear
as I re-enter the outside world
is a strong
and determined Donna,
suddenly revived,
and the words she utters
fill my heart with a strange,
mischievous joy
as she gives a resounding
“Fuck off!”

to this Good Samaritan.

No comments:

Post a Comment