A collection of poems and other writings...

Thursday 13 March 2014

"Ghosts of Devon"

 When I was a boy family holidays were mostly spent in Cornwall and North Devon.  A trip back in later life provided a mixture feelings


  
For thirty years
upon this shop’s wire rack
this book has lain:
bought, sold, restocked,
bought, sold
and stocked again.
And now I shuffle through
its creamy leaves:
the misty wanderings of souls in pain,
the dead of these stark fields.

I remember it from times before
on Hartland Quay:
buying ice cream, and postcards
of the Point;
or sitting in the car
to watch the rain,
and sipping at a cup of thermos tea.

The turn of every corner of the lane,
the hedges high as castles
and the sea
still dashing at the rocks
again, again –
the sudden childish heart,
the soul of me.

Here are the parents
of my childhood days.
Here are their faces
in my sleep.
You hear me breathing
in the thundering dark.
You see me weep.

No comments:

Post a Comment