A collection of poems and other writings...

Friday 12 September 2014

Perms and Trims

When we walk into town
we go past Condells
the Ladies’
Hairdressers.

There must be
things
that go on in there

because they put
net curtains
in the window
and there are pictures
of ladies heads

with hair

like this
or like that

and Dads aren’t allowed
in
or boys,
only Mums
and girls.

The Mums come out
smelling of hairspray
and handbags

and the hair
always looks
stiff and important.

I can go in the barber’s
with Dad
but it’s boring.

There are newspapers
on the seats
but no comics
and a there’s a long wait,
so we never go on Saturdays.

If I have my haircut
Mr Trippet
puts a plank across the arms of the chair
and I have to
sit on that
because he’s too tall
to reach me otherwise.

He wraps a big sheet
round me
and buzzes my head with
his clippers.

“Shall we call you Shaun?”
says Mr Trippet.

He tells me
would I like spray?

Yes, please.
(Even though Mum makes me wash my hair straight away after.)

I cover my eyes
and he sprays.

Then he brushes his soft brush
all the way round the back of my neck
and untucks the cloth
he had tucked into my collar

and he gives me a tissue
to rub the itches with
while Dad pays.

“Something for the weekend, sir?”
says Mr Trippet

“Not this weekend, Jack,”
says Dad,
every time.

Then they laugh.

But
at Condells
the ladies don’t have haircuts
they have
trims
and perms
and blowjobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment