A collection of poems and other writings...

Monday 30 December 2019

The girl down the corridor


I have never told you
have I
about the girl
whose name I never knew
with angular features
a long sharp nose
and shaped eyebrows
skilfully shadowed eyes
with hair
cut short
and gelled up
into a fine comb
who had a room
down the corridor
from you in halls
I never told you
did I
how she and I
caught each other's eye
from time to time
how she would smile at me
even while you held my hand
and how
while we were studying in your room
you and I
I would listen for footsteps in the corridor
Fancy a coffee?
I would say
and you always would
and I would dutifully trip along
to the kitchen
in the hope that she might be there too
and sometimes she would be
and while the kettle boiled
we would courteously
dance
a light flirtatious gavotte
between sink and cupboard
kettle and coffee jar
and I would fail to say
all the things to her
that I had planned to
because of you
and she would ask about you
because that was a respectful
and a safe
thing to do

No comments:

Post a Comment