A collection of poems and other writings...

Friday 28 February 2014

Yesterday

Time has a habit of misbehaving...

Yesterday,
I think it was…

anyway it feels like yesterday…

when we were tidying in Mum and Dad’s room
Mum found her Dad’s old diary
in a box of photographs.

It was just a little black book
with Diary printed on the front
and seven days to a page.
He’d written on some of the days
“9.30 Dentist”
“Elsie’s Birthday”

It was from 1939…

she was only a girl then,
Mum,
six years old
which was like forever ago.

On one page
on one day
in pencil
Granddad had written

“War broke out.”

The writing was so big the words spilled out from between the lines.

Mum read them out.

She smiled at me
then looked back at the diary.

A drop of water fell onto the page.

Then she told me she was sorry for crying
that it was silly to cry over something
that happened forever ago.

But it looked to me
like it was still happening
inside her…

She wiped her eyes
and hugged me
stroking my hair with her hand
as if I were the one who was crying.

I watched her looking at the writing
her Dad had written
forever ago.

Yesterday,
well it feels like yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment