A collection of poems and other writings...

Saturday 29 March 2014

Metronome

Schooldays - the best days of your life...?




George and me and Alf Hewison
slip out
of the second half
of double maths
on Saturday mornings
- Mr Hough scowls.

We go off to the music room
at the end of the hall,
and Mr Dicker -
from Shaftesbury and District Silver Band -
tells us how we should play the trombone.

Mr Dicker is as stained as an old teapot
his moustache is yellow,
his face is red and
his nose is bigger than his chin.
The edges of his ears
curl
like smoked back bacon.
You can see his string vest
through the white nylon of his shirt.
The Summer runs down his neck
into pits under his arms.

The music room is very small -
three pubescent boys,
farting down a trombone,
and an old smoker...

Aroma.

One day Mr Dicker says to me -
Give me yer 'and.
He’s been away -
What?
- but he’s back now.
Give me yer 'and.
Hospital or somewhere.
So I give the trombone to Alf
and I give my hand to
Mr Dicker.

He pulls me towards him.
He opens his jacket.
He lifts his left arm.
He guides my hand
under his armpit
- in the summer
- with the white nylon
- under his armpit.
What?
I feel it then.
Can you feel it?
Er - yes.
The lump?
I can feel the lump
through the nylon
criss-crossed with string vest.
Do you know what that is?
Er - no.
It’s me pacemaker
- battery operated
- it keeps me heart regular
- like a metronome
- can you feel it?

Oh yes.

Then George had to feel
then Alf.

After the lesson
when we’d washed
our hands
we decided he was

Mr Dicker with the Dicky Ticker.

No comments:

Post a Comment