A collection of poems and other writings...

Friday 4 July 2014

In This Garden

In this garden
our parents surround us,
apple trees in June,
this custard sun
poured through dappled leaves

and here
are tennis ball catch games
among the dewy grass
and wet knees
one, then two,
as butter-fingered slips
make Broken Bottles of us children.

Bad Eggs
One, two, three then throw -
Stick in the Mud
and Off Ground Touch

We are Pirates between
summer’s laundered sheets
hung on rigging lines
or we are fleeing from Witches
finding refuge in the fuschia

Afternoons
are buddleia butterflied

are summer puddings
and Angel Delight,
while tea-drunk adults
sit on the daisy lawn
humbly chatting
through their children’s games.
Cousins race between
flowerbeds and cricket stumps
in rubber boots bound
from one to the next
as they grow into them
and then out.

The smallest child sirens panic
as a wasp takes it prisoner
droning at the nose and jammy mouth
while the child
backs helpless
towards a parent

There were sometimes,
but not now,
fox cubs in this garden
in the early evening quiet
safe among the walled flowers
snapping at pollen flies
like lizards
then toppling each other
into a frenzied ball
before freezing
in a heart-stopped moment,
attention taken
by some unseen threat.

I’d watch them from the window

and then,
days later,
find myself there
in the very spot
they had inhabited
still seeing their berry-black eyes
in froth-furred faces

and I’d hold my face close to the damp earth
and trace their scent
still lingering in the grass.

And from where I’m sitting now
I see
a blackbird feed its chick in the bay tree
and infant sparrows on the panel fence
chirring their wings
for their parents.

When I was twelve
I would map
every exact location
of every nesting bird
in this garden
and took my daily rounds
to inspect each nest
as if my knowing
would somehow
help.

I watched as fledglings
fledged
I swooped with worried laughter
to help the juvenile
who fluttered against the window pane
in desperate search
for some thing to perch
upon.

I watched for cats.

But it is getting late.

This midsummer sun is setting
and garden colours are
overlaid with dusky greys.

And they have gone who linked their arms
around us.

So now I in turn stretch
my hands to touch the sky
above my daughters’ heads

Stando!
Stick in the Mud,
teach them to catch,
to throw,
to hide,
to find
and count the spotted
ladybirds
as they climb
carapace open
and wings spread
to our fingers’ tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment