A collection of poems and other writings...

Tuesday 28 October 2014

That & This

We have gently captured your soul
a willing prisoner,
in these jewel moments of your life
although they are just photos on the piano?

 
We have captured the growing girl:
here,
the beaming infant in you –
hands spread wide
to span the joy,
to contain the view,
you,
lying toothless on the play-mat
your sister used;

or here,
an older you
refusing the snap,
hands up batting away the camera
like some over-papped celebrity –
your crooked, self-conscious teeth
before retainers.

School photos and
birthday songs
holidays,
sing-a-longs.

For us
a record of your history
to check that we
have done the best we can.
For you
a list of treasure times
that step you from
Not that
to That
which you choose to
Be.

A road map to
look back at
and look forward from.

And I am

This

and have been caught by you, too,
in your mind’s eye.

But I, for you, have always been
This,
just This.
For as you grow
your change of view
accommodates the me you know
the fixed point
safe, slow
unchanging
as you come and go.

This is you, father.

My father is This.

Now you have left home
and your visits are less frequent
and the sliding of the years
appears to speed.
And you will see
This
age.

While you are not here

you will see the crest
fall
and the crumpling page
of my face as my cheeks sag
around the growing gaps in my teeth.
Muscles will slacken,
Jowls drop.
Where once I could contain the
issues of my body
now, I cannot.

And this crumbling hair 
will give up these final
feeble efforts
and you will see
the wind blowing
through the gaps
between hair and scalp
and realise that

This,
too,
shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment