A collection of poems and other writings...

Friday 4 April 2014

Gladys

Family games...
When I sit on Dad’s Knee
and he’s finished doing
“This is the way the old men ride…”

we sometimes do
“Say ‘Gladys’.”

I pinch his nose and say
“Say ‘Gladys’,”
Dad and John, 1960

and he does -
but it comes out like
‘Glodys’

or ‘Nglaris’.

or I pinch his lips together so he can’t open them
and say
“Say ‘Gladys’,” –

‘Grydyf’

or I squeeze the sides of his mouth together
and say
“Say ‘Gladys’,”

“Glollyth."

Best of all is when
I pinch his nose
and squash my hand across his mouth
and say
“Say ‘Gladys’”

and his eyes start to get very wide
and his cheeks start to puff out
and he starts to wriggle about
until I nearly fall off his knee
and then there’s a funny sort of
splurgy sound from inside his
mouth

“Brrdadzziff”

and then there’s usually too much spit around
to do it any more

and he looks a bit red

so we stop.


Grandma’s name is
Gladys

but that’s not why.

No comments:

Post a Comment