A collection of poems and other writings...

Monday 25 May 2020

In dreams I can fly


In dreams I can fly

it is simple enough
a tightening of muscle
a shortening of sinew
a concentration of blood

there is
no frantic flapping of limbs
no wild leap into the air

I simply close eyes
tighten the core
breathe
spell my exhalation
through whistling lips
until I float
up, up into air
suspended
from the bubble
of my skull

for in dreams I am free
of the poison of gravity

I tried it again today
in gusty hope
tried it as I walked home
in the belly of the wind

how certain I was
remembering the ease of dreams
feeling the fillip
beneath my arm pits
as my father
standing behind me
would slip his fingers
under these skinny pockets
these boney sockets
and gift me moments
of fumbling flight
feet flailing free
spinning round and round
carving circles in the trees with my heels
me laughing to dizziness
as the world
was smudged
into fast nonsense

but today I was wakeful
and it is too hard
to tense each muscle
around the liver
summon blood
from distant corpse corners

my will is soft
while I am awake
and my father
long dead

but one day
when my bones
are as hollow as birds
and left to drift sky-bleached
under gracious clouds
the ludicrous air will
whisper through them
of how I once could fly


No comments:

Post a Comment