A collection of poems and other writings...

Friday 5 June 2015

surprised by a mermaid

if you were to touch me now
without warning
and while I am unprepared

if you were to slip up beneath me
submerged
and make unexpected contact

I would shiver
and recoil
and shake your hand from my clammy shoulder
and offer some guttural rejection
caught in a throat full of sea
and
I would shudder under your grey fingers
I who did not see you approach
and am unused to the approach
of any other
and especially of a one such as you
at this time of day
alone
and naked
and unaware
caught in the anger of the sea
fretting in this mighty undertow
if you were to touch me now
without warning
while I am unprepared

but

if you were to touch me
now
having given me this moment‘s pause
and now knowing what I now know
of this dry earth and its dead dust
I would gracefully
sink into the ocean of your arms
float on the soft spume of your briny breath
swim into the abyss of your wide-eyed words
hide under the swell of your limpid breasts
moor myself to the holdfast strands
of your sargasso hair

No comments:

Post a Comment