A collection of poems and other writings...

Monday 8 December 2014

Oh Dad!

Pull my little finger
says Dad
Go on, pull it.

He’s holding out his little finger
I pull it and
a fart comes out of his bottom.

Dad!

What does a ship do when it comes into harbour?
says Dad.

I don’t know, I say.

Ties up!  he says,
and he flips my tie up in front of my nose.

Dad!

I’m in the car,
says Dad
when he isn’t really – he just wants to get going
but Mum says
there are still things to do and he can sit there as long as he likes
but she gets on better when he’s out of the way
sitting in the car.

And when it’s teatime
and he comes in from gardening
his grey jumper smells all smoky of bonfires
and there’s a drop of sweat dripping off his nose.

But when he comes home from work late
he tries to creep in so no-one can hear him
and he creeps along the hall
to the sitting room
where we’re all sitting watching Top of the Pops
and he pokes his head round the door very quietly
and says
hell-ooo

And we all jump
and go


No comments:

Post a Comment