A collection of poems and other writings...

Monday 23 March 2015

The eclipse of the sun

Mum makes a pinhole in the paper,
holds it in the sun –
a tiny dot of light appears below
at the centre of the shadow.

A pinhole for a peepshow
she says
her eyes shining
and we wait
as heady moments pass
and watch at last
a tiny shade move
across the dot
an image cast of
a crescent sun.

I reach out my hand
place a single finger
in the ray of light
to see if I can feel its weight,
its heat
switch fingers one by one
allow the fleck of buried sun
to land on each in turn

an eclipse
projected on my fingertips.

She smiles at me
But then he
comes and steps
between the sunlight
and our game

and I see him place his
hand upon her back to
claim her –
her cotton blouse
her auburn hair
her tender skin

her wings

he clips.

No comments:

Post a Comment