A collection of poems and other writings...

Sunday 12 April 2015

On Sunday Afternoon

I have turned on the oven

and if you have no plans for them
I will take the Bramley apples
which have been sitting
in the fruit bowl
for three weeks now
and I will wash them
under a running tap.

I will peel them and remove their cores
and cut them into regular cubes
or at least
into random chunks of
approximately
the same size

I will place these cubes
or chunks
into the large brown crockery casserole
that you bought from that Antiques Shop
in Kirkby Stephen
while we were on that walk from Crosby Garrett,
you remember,
when the children were little,
the one where we
also bought
the large flat soup dishes
that are now all broken.

(You didn’t buy that there?
oh
well at least you are aware
of the one to which I refer.)

I will sprinkle dark brown sugar
and a little spice all over the
apples although I will not
measure
the sugar
and there will always be
a faint unknowing
as to whether the
finished dish
will be deliciously sweet
or religiously sharp.

I have a sense of it
though
and a certain amount of experience
and besides
I enjoy the risk

- like the heat of chillies.

In another bowl I will rub
ounces of
butter
into twice as many
ounces of
plain flour
I will add as many
ounces of
demarara sugar
as I have added of butter
and a similar
amount
of the large rolled oats
that we both like.

This topping
I will sprinkle on to the apples
and pat down lightly
running the back of a fork over it
to create small furrows
so that the finished dish
will resemble
a ploughed field.

I will then place 
the completed crumble
into the oven
which I have preheated.

Gas Mark 4

It is in the oven
that the magic will happen
and after about forty minutes
(during which time I will
clear the surfaces
and
wash the bowls and utensils
I have used)
I will
take it out
and check the look of it
and the aroma of it
and the texture of the crumble topping
for signs of perfection.

A little lava-like
outflowing of
the bubbling sweet apple juices
onto the ridged and crusty surface
may not be a bad thing.

If all these signs are right
I will stand the crumble
in its brown crockery casserole
on the pot-stand by the kettle
to rest a moment
while I quickly make some
custard.

Not an elaborate real custard
but a simple one
made from the
Bird’s Custard Powder
we keep in the cellar head
with perhaps a teaspoon full of
Madagascan vanilla extract
and a small pot of that
thick double cream
that you insist on.

The crumble
I will then spoon into bowls
one for you
and one for me and
the custard
I will tip into a jug
and, with the small headed ladle,
and a couple of dessert spoons,
I will bring them
in to you
in the sitting room
while you sit and
watch
the Antiques Roadshow
where you discover
that
the large flat soup dishes
which are now all broken
would have been worth about
ten times what we paid for them
were we never to have used them
and then 
felt the need 
to sell them.

Your disappointment is short-lived
however
as you taste
the Bramley apples,
sweetened and spiced to perfection,
under the crumble topping,
crunchy but not too hard,
golden brown and yet not too brown
with a slight caramelisation of apple juices
baked on around the crumble edge
and the three ladlefuls of rich sweet custard
albeit only Birds
that cover the contents of your bowl
and ensure that it is
a delightful
and delicious
remedy
on Sunday Afternoon


No comments:

Post a Comment