A collection of poems and other writings...

Tuesday 27 January 2015

On a Postcard


You wrote me a postcard
full of fabulous holiday news
how where you were staying was
luxurious
oh, the views
how the beach was so close
how you bathed in the sea
and
how the evenings were
even lovelier than the day
how the harbour lights
were reflected jewels
framing a cerulean mirror
how dolphins swam in
right up to the shore
and mischievous seagulls
stole chips from folk
on a coach tour.

And, yes, I can picture you there
on your postcard beach
and you in your bikini
cheesecloth blouse knotted
under your breasts
holding onto your straw sun hat
against the sea breeze
and I can taste
the ice cream that
you tongue-tease
and scent the sand and lotion
on your satin skin

You wrote
how you wished I was there
how you were missing me
and I was curious
surprised
that you thought
about me
while you were away

because
if I’m honest

I don’t really like you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment