A collection of poems and other writings...

Tuesday 5 August 2014

David and Goliath

When
David stood before the Giant
he armed himself with stone and sling
against the mighty Philistine magnum - 
the sword, the spear, the death machine.

And
those who watched would hold their breath
and stand hand in hand on the bank of Elah
to see him fight the mountain man
dressed in armour and with helm of bronze.

And
so bravely young David stood
and shouldered all the fear and dread
of a nation under battle
their hopes and dreams of life in peace

The
shepherd boy who leads his country
to victory over the savage foe,
who holds the just and fairest vision
of life to live, and love to grow.

And
Saul the King was afraid of David
for the Lord was with him
then.

Now
when I look
at the weak and the powerful
all I see are tables turning.
I cannot see where David stands
But is this he who phones a warning?
Is this he who drives the tank?
Is this he beneath this dome?
Is he now the bold protector
fighting for the oppressed home?

I cannot see the justice
and maybe I cannot see the truth
but I can see who holds the sling

and 
who holds the bloody sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment