A collection of poems and other writings...

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Toilet Brush




Hayley asked
Who brushed the toilet?!

Who brushed the toilet?

It was me.
I had brushed her toilet.
I had stood there
 wondering
what to do about the
great
     skid
                  mark
down the side of the pan.

So I pulled the
hedgehog brush
out of its plastic holder
And scrubbed
and the flush and the brush
performed their magic.


Me,
I did it.
But now the
questions
flooded my head.

¿Why was she bothered?
¿Did she have her own special way of brushing the toilet?
¿Was she saving the toilet brushing for another day?
¿Did she have a special Toilet Brushing Day?
¿Was it something she looked forward to?
¿Had I ruined it for her?
¿Did she really mind?
¿Would she have minded if she had seen why I had brushed the toilet?
¿Did she feel bad that someone else had brushed her toilet?
¿How could she tell that someone had brushed her toilet?
¿Did she notice now that a STAIN she had noticed earlier had now gone?
¿Was it a problem that the brush was now WET
and possibly
sullied?

I raised my hand
Everyone else went quiet.

It was me –
It was me.
I brushed your toilet, Hayley.



Oh,

she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment