A collection of poems and other writings...

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Lessons in Lego

I was approaching three when my younger sister was born so I'm thinking this must have been one of my earliest opportunities to experience sibling rivalry...

Jess was born
upstairs
with the door shut
and Cousin Win
came to look after us
downstairs.

And when Jess had come
Cousin Win told us
we could tiptoe like mice
up the stairs and see
our new baby sister.

And Mum was there in bed,
and Dad,
and there was this baby
in a black carry cot
and Mum said the baby
had brought us things,
and if we put our hands
in the bottom end
of the carry cot
we would find the things
she had brought.

I didn’t know
how a baby
could get to the shops
but Mum said I needn’t
worry about that.

And there were things -

I got a little box of lego,
blue lego
roof pieces.
It was all right.

Then John opened his box -
when I saw what he got
fireworks went off in my head
and it was like
there was suddenly
a big crack in the world
that I might fall into
right in between me and Mum

and Dad -

John got
little yellow curved bits of lego
that made a fantastic round tower
when you put them all together.

Yellow bits
not blue.
Curved bits
not roof bits.

And they said the baby
was called Jessica Mary
and that she was the baby now
and I had to be her big brother
and teach her things.

I thought I should better teach her about
lego.

I expect she brought Kate 
something too
but she was six
and I didn’t want it
it was probably a doll

or something.

It seems my parents weren't too concerned about choking hazards in those days either!

No comments:

Post a Comment