A collection of poems and other writings...

Monday 24 March 2014

Underneath The Clock

I don't really know where this came from... it's just for fun really.  The children used to like it when they were younger.


As I walked and whistled
down Twistington High Street
two old men I happened for to meet,
on a bench by the bus-stop,
the 34 bus-stop,
waiting for a bus
to take them up to Hilltop.

And I stopped and I sat
and I listened while I whistled
and I heard they were talking
about how things were changing -
shops closing down,
shops rearranging,
how you never could find what you wanted when you looked...

And the more I listened
the more I was hooked
by the names they remembered
and some they forgot
as they sat there and nattered
with the old town clock
tick-tocking up above.

Susan Cox still sells
shoes and socks
in the Soft Shoe Shuffle
shoe and sock shop
by the chip shop ...

Which shop?

The old fish and chippie.

What Trisha Phipps’?

Ay, Trisha Phipps.

She makes fabulous
battered fish and chips.
Best in town!

I’d wolf  ‘em down,
with salt and vinegar
outside the cinema
with my mate Stanley.

Old Stan Hemmings?

That’s the one –
he used to sell curtains
and fancy cushion covers.
Used to have a warehouse
up the road from your house.

Oh ay, I remember,
Hemmings Trimmings Limited,
 now I recall.
I never went in though.

No?

Not at all!

He sold all sorts of things –
shirts,
skirts
and knickers.

Really?

Oh yes,
my best beloved
always bought them there –
her underwear.

I get mine from Vickers.

Knickers from Vickers –
I didn’t know they did ‘em!

Oh they do, they do
 ... but it’s new.

Oh I see.

Come on, bus, I want my tea.



-

They don’t come
as regular
as how they used to.

No not so often.
More expensive, too.
I remember when
you could catch a bus
from Hilltop,
down to town
and back again
for only ten pence.
That’s ten old pennies,
not quite a shilling.

 It’s more than a pound now.

It’s one blinking fifty.
Mind you the buses
are pretty nifty.

 The drivers are shifty!

Do you remember old Gus?

Used to drive the bus?

Yes him –
what a laugh –

He had us in stitches.

Got us all singing rounds in the back –
London’s Burning,

Frère Jacques
.
Wouldn’t happen now.

Not now –
 wouldn’t happen
 - they’re too afraid
of putting buses into ditches.

Well there’s lots more traffic.

All them cars ...

Vans and lorries
thundering past you,
blast you with their hooters
when you try to cross the road.
We don’t go as fast as you,
we’re not on scooters!

We’re not on wheels.

Noisy blinking tooters.
Everyone’s in such a rush ...

 Where is that bus?

Have you seen the park, though?  Oh it looks a treat.
 The flowers are looking lovely,
 the grass is trim …

It’s neat!
I saw them cut it yesterday
with a great big sit-on mower.
Same bloke who does
the library lawns.
Took him less than an hour.
Amazing!

Amazing.
And they’ve got that playground now with the swings
 and the slide
 and one of them things that goes round and round,
 you know –

The roundabout?
 The roundabout
 - that’s the one
 - you should have heard the kiddies shout.
 They love it.

Ay, it’s fun –

They do, they really do.
It wasn’t like that for us two.

No!

Maybe a swing –

A rope in a tree
that’s all we had
my friends and me,
and if you came off –
ooh –
you’d scrape your knee.
But you didn’t dare show it
you didn’t dare weep!

Huh! I’d holler and cry!
If I had a bad knee
I wouldn’t be shy.
I’d jump and I’d hop,
I’d shout and I’d curse!

Did it make you feel better?

 No, generally
worse.

Now have you seen the new skateboard shop?

 Next door to Copper Kettle?

Yes that one have you seen it?

I’ve been in it
 - but they play that heavy metal!
I went in for our Kevin
 - he wanted some new rollers.

It used to be a hat shop –
sold trilbies and bowlers.


I fancy a skateboard
for nipping about.
I could pop into town
and back out
without any fuss.
I mean,
I wouldn’t have to sit here
waiting for this bus.
    You on a skateboard
 - who are you kidding?
You’d fall straight off,
 you’d be sliding and skidding all
 over the street!

I’ll have you know
I’m very light on my feet.
I’ve a keen sense of balance -

Off balance, you mean
 - and here comes the bus in case you haven’t seen.

And with that the two men
stood up by the seat.
They rubbed their hands
and they stamped their feet.
And the bus drew up
and the door swished back
and one got on
“I’ll see you then, Jack.”
And Jack gave a wave
as the bus pulled away
and he strolled off
down the High Street
into the dimming day.

And I stood and I listened
to the noises of the town -
people walking home -
shop shutters sliding down.
And I rubbed my hands
and I found my other glove,
with the old town clock
tick-tocking
up above.

Here is a link to me reading Underneath The Clock 

No comments:

Post a Comment