A collection of poems and other writings...

Sunday 16 March 2014

Something Useful

So when I asked Dad
what he wanted
for Christmas

He said
oh nothing.

So I said
come on, dad, what?

and he said
No, really, I don’t want anything.
You can’t afford it.

Yes I can
I said
I want to buy you something.

He said,
Well, all right then, but make it
something useful.

So I said
Like what?

And he said
Oh, I don’t know,
Something I need…

And I said
Like what?

And he said
Well I don’t know…
Something for the kitchen…
I know, 
we really need a new tin opener.

A tin opener?

Yes.

But that’s not a very nice Christmas present.

And he said
I don’t mind – that’s what I want.

So the next day
after school
I popped into town
before I went home.

I went into Sharp’s
and then into Humphrey’s
and they didn’t have many tin openers
but I managed to find one like the one we had before
for 49p,
which I could afford.

So I was just taking it up to the counter to pay
when Jonathon Luxton was there
and he came up to me
and he saw what I had in my hand
and he said
a tin opener?
Wow!  Somebody’s getting a nice Christmas present.

And I couldn’t think what to say,
so I didn’t say anything.

I just sort of shrugged and
smiled
and bought the tin opener
and then I went off to Harding’s
to find some wrapping paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment